SMS Assembly started manufacturing computer components 25 years ago. Many years ago we moved away from using non-renewable energy and resources to assemble new parts toward sourcing more used parts that were being thrown away. Becoming R2 certified was a natural step for us.
The R2 Standard is a rigid set of requirements relating to the environmental, health, safety, and security aspects of recycling used electronics.
R2 also requires e-recyclers to assure that downstream vendors safely manage higher toxic materials all the way to final disposition. It also prohibits e-recyclers and their vendors from exporting these more toxic materials to countries that have enacted laws making their import illegal.
The R2 Standard dictates the performance of electronics recyclers in the areas of:
- Environmental and public health
- Worker health and safety
- Security (data and facility)
- The whole of the recycling process and chain of custody of materials through final disposition
What exactly is the R2 Standard?
By using an R2 certified recycler, you’re assured that your used electronics are handled in a responsible way. R2 certification gives companies that recycle confidence that the recycler follows not only applicable federal and state laws, but also the voluntary R2 Standard.
R2 certified recyclers meet and follow these standards, which are based on the environmental, health, safety, and security aspects of recycling IT assets.
- An R2 electronics recycler develops and uses an Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System (EHSMS) to plan and monitor its environmental, health, and safety practices, including the activities it undertakes to conform to these R2 Practices.
- An R2 electronics recycler has developed and follows a policy based on the “reuse, recover, dispose” hierarchy of IT asset recycling strategies.
- An R2 electronics recycler complies with all applicable environmental, health, and safety legal requirements and only exports equipment and components containing focus materials (particularly toxic) to countries that legally accept them.
- R2 electronics recyclers protect worker health and safety and the environment. An R2 electronics recycler manage – both on site and in the selection of downstream vendors – the R2 Focus Materials that pass through its facility or control in a manner protective of worker health and safety, public health, and the environment; and performs due diligence on downstream vendors to which it ships these materials.
- An R2 electronics recycler refurbishes as needed, properly tests, and adequately packages equipment and components going to reuse.
- An R2 electronics recycler maintains business records demonstrating the material flow of equipment, components, and materials that pass through its facility.
- An R2 electronics recycler employs generally accepted data destruction procedures.
- An R2 electronics recycler stores items and materials in an appropriate manner that may cause risk to worker health or safety or the environment if inappropriately stored.
- An R2 electronics recycler follows facility security measures appropriate for the equipment they handle and customers they serve. An R2 electronics recycler carries insurance adequate to cover the potential risks and liabilities associated with the nature and size of the company’s operations, and has adequate legal and financial assurances in place for the proper closure of its facilities.
- An R2 electronics recycler transports all equipment, components, and materials using shippers that have the necessary regulatory authorizations and in a way that protects public health and the environment.
- An R2 recycler maintains necessary documentation for an auditor to assess for conformity to R2 Standards.
On top of the benefits above, SMS makes recycling a profitable proposition for companies sitting on unused computer equipment. Condition, age and resale value determine whether selling by the pound or piece is the most profitable. SMS’s team inspects every piece of electronics to determine its maximum value, which is then paid to the customer unlike other IT recyclers that purchase equipment only by the pound.
Required by state law or corporate policy to recycle IT equipment through an R2 certified recycler? Contact SMS Assembly.